QuestionMSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and Research
Module 2 DiscussionMiddle Range Nursing Theories and the Future of Nursing Theory
1. Theories seem to be such esoteric notions for a profession that seemed to function well for decades, without highlighting them. Can our practice history guide our practice future with theories? Why/not?
2. Define both rationalism and empiricism. Differentiate between these two scientific approaches.
3. Identify how the development of nursing diagnosis and nursing therapeutic taxonomies contribute to advancing nursing knowledge. Identify how the support for evidence-based practice is an indication of progress in the nursing discipline.
4. Describe how grand nursing theory differs from middle range nursing theory. Give 2 examples of grand nursing theories and give 2 examples of middle range nursing theories.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 3 DiscussionOverview of Research Paradigms; Evidence for PracticeChapter 2 deals with using research as evidence both for personal practice and for changing practice in specific settings using evidence based practice (EBP) models. Think about barriers that are associated with implementation of EBP either individually or at a unit /systems level. Please discuss the following:
1) What is one barrier that you have encountered or anticipate may occur with the implementation of EBP and what are some solutions to overcome that barrier?Chapter 1 and 3 included information about the differences and similarities between quantitative and qualitative research methods. Consider the information and discuss the following.
2) Think about the positivist versus constructivist paradigm. From which perspective do you view the world? Why? How could this influence your research in your practice setting?
3) Prior to taking this course when reading research were you able to get a sense of the ethical aspects of the research? As you look at Chapter 7, particularly Box 7.3, the known aspects of IRB and safeguarding participants are included. Speak to how, when reading a research study, you will now be more aware of thinking about 1) vulnerable groups inclusion as well as 2) which groups were omitted with or without a justifiable rationale being included.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 4 DiscussionResearch and Clinical Questions – PICO; Literature, Reviews & Theoretical Frameworks
1) Choose a problem or issue that you anticipate within your future advanced nursing role. Formulate a clinical question using the PICOT format. This question will drive the literature search for your issue.
2) To support and assist in choosing and writing your PICOT in part 1 of this discussion board, you should have reviewed a minimum of 6-10 articles. List the articles here as a response to #2 using the APA format for each citation.
3) Choose one of those articles cited in #2 above that is a quantitative article and use the guide in Box 4.3 of Polit and Beck text to critique the research problem, research question, and hypothesis in the article (page 84). Answer each of the 8 questions and discuss the relationship of this article to your PICOT.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 5 DiscussionQualitative Research Design; Qualitative Data Collection & Analysis
1. Give one example each of issues/problems that could be answered using a qualitative research design in the following areas: A. nursing practice, B. nursing education, and C. nursing leadership.
2. What topics are better suited for phenomenological or grounded theory or ethnography? Provide rationale. Provide one topic that could be researched using each of the following: phenomenological, grounded theory, and ethnography.
3. Explain the various strategies used to promote qualitative research validity/trustworthiness/rigor as found in Chapter 25 of your assigned reading. Then, take one of these strategies and compare it to a specific quantitative strategy addressing similar issues of rigor.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 6 DiscussionQuantitative Research Design; Quantitative Data Collection & Analysis
1. Read this fictitious study and then answer the questions that follow:
Brusser and Joansy wanted to test the effectiveness of a new relaxation/biofeedback intervention on menopausal symptoms. They invited women who presented themselves in an outpatient clinic with complaints of severe hot flashes to participate in the study of the experimental treatment. These 50 women were asked to record, every day for 3 weeks before the intervention, the frequency and duration of their hot flashes. The intervention involved five 1-hour sessions over a period of 1 week. Then for 3 weeks after the treatment the women were asked to record their hot flashes again every day. At the end of the study, Brusser and Joansy found that both the frequency and average duration of the hot flashes had been significantly reduced in this sample of 50 women. They concluded that their intervention was an effective therapy in treating menopausal hot flashes.a. What is the independent variable in this study?b. What are the dependent variables in this study?c. Was there random assignment in this study?d. Is the design experimental, quasi-experimental, pre-experimental, or nonexperimental?e. What is the specific name of the design used in this study?f. Is the study design within subjects or between subjects?g. Was there blinding in this study?h. Provide at least one way in which this study could have been improved based on your chapter readings.
2. Here is a brief summary of the data collection plan of a fictitious study. Read the summary and then respond to the questions that follow.
Traina conducted a study to investigate the relationship between adults’ blood pressure and their suppression of anger. Data were gathered from a sample of 347 healthy men and women aged 22 to 60 who were members of a gym in Washington DC. Subjects completed two paper and pencil scales: The Feeling of Anger Scale and the Expression of Anger Scale. The scales used a 9 point rating scales. Responses to each scale were summed to yield a total score for each variable. The subjects’ BP was measured by nurses using zero calibrated aneroid sphygmomanometers. Weight was measured with subjects wearing only gym shorts and a t-shirt on an upright scale to the nearest 10th of a pound. Heights was measured without shoes, feet together. All instruments were assessed at being below the eighth grade level. The results indicated for both men and women higher diastolic and systolic BP was associated with higher levels of suppressed anger even when various variables were statistically controlled.a. Which of the following types of data were collected in this study (self-report, observation, biophysiologic, records)?b. Were the data collection methods structured or unstructured?c. For which variables did Traina NOT derive numeric information?d. Which of the following specific methods were used (likert-type scale, semantic differential scale, event history calendar, rank-order questions, Q-sort)?e. Which type of data collection was used: telephone interview, personal interview, web-based interview, or self-administered questionnaire?f. Was readability assessed? At what level?g. Provide at least one way that data collection and measurement effort be improved in this study based on your readings.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 7 DiscussionApplication of Theory; Learning Theory1. In your Alligood textbook, you have explored much about the development and progress of theoretical nursing. Your assigned readings this week introduces you to the ways of knowing in nursing written by Barbara Carper. This is a seminal work in nursing.a. List the 4 patterns of knowing according to Barbara Carper.b. Provide an example from your practice for each of the 4 patterns.c. What are your thoughts about the pertinence of these patterns in nursing today?2. There are multiple learning theories as you read in the Zhou & Brown chapter.a. Choose and identify the name of one of the learning theories from the assigned reading of Zhou & Brown.b. Develop a step-by-step program to decrease the frequency of medical mistakes in a healthcare practice setting. Cite the learning theory principles that back each step of the program.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 1 AssignmentWhat is Cheating?Question 1Looking at another student’s work during an exam is cheating.TrueFalseQuestion 2Receiving information about a previous exam from another student is cheating.TrueFalseQuestion 3Copying segments from another student’s paper and using it in your own assignment is cheating.TrueFalseQuestion 4Asking another student to clarify whether you are doing a homework assignment properly is cheating.TrueFalseQuestion 5 Which of the following circumstances is cheating? Select all that apply.Giving your completed homework assignments from an old course to a student taking that courseLooking up information online to answer questions in a closed-book examSeeing exam answers on social media and not reporting it is cheatingAsking an instructor if you did an assignment properly
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 2 AssignmentApplication of Selected Theory to Practice PowerPoint (PPT)The purpose of this PPT is to improve your knowledge of practice by applying a middle range nursing theory to a practice issue or problem. For this assignment you need to think about an issue or problem within you own practice area. Now choose a mid-range nursing theory that can be applied to your issue/problem to improve it. You will need to create an 8 to 10 slide narrated PPT explaining your findings. This presentation should be done in Microsoft Powerpoint and should include a voice-over narration. The narrated powerpoint should be no more than 10 minutes in length. Google narrated powerpoint for instructions on how to create a narrated powerpoint.Your presentation needs to include the following:Clearly describe the problem or issue.Provide a rationale for the significance of this issue or problem. The rationale must be supported by the current literature.Choose a middle range nursing theory that can influence or change your issue or problem.Why did you choose this mid-range nursing theory?Discuss the appropriateness of theory chosen.Presentation of key points and/or concepts of mid-range nursing theory.Explain how this mid-range nursing theory influences your issue/problem.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 5 AssignmentQualitative Research CritiqueAssignment Instructions: Qualitative Research CritiqueThis assignment will allow students to review and critique a qualitative research article. The critique is an analysis of the article. Please use the questions on the rubric and questions in Box 5.2 in the Polit and Beck text titled “Guide to an Overall Critique of a Qualitative Research Article” to guide that analysis.” Generally 1-3 sentences are sufficient to answer each question depending on the question. Students need to address each component thoroughly from the content of the article, providing rationale for each of the statements. If a research component is not addressed in the article, students must explain whether or not this is justified. As you dwell with your article, be sure to review qualitative article critique in Polit and Beck textbook, found in Box 5.2. The paper should include an introduction and a conclusion. The paper should be no more than 7 pages excluding title and reference page.Please choose one of the following three articles on which to write your critique. Choose just one and include the entire citation in your critique.MSN 600 Qualitative Article Characteristics of Exercise in Older Adults (2) (3) (3).pdfPreview the documentMSN 600 Qualitative Article Nursing student Narratives about Medical Errors (3) (1) (1).pdfPreview the documentMSN 600 Qualitative Article Lived Experiences of People with Hypo hyperthyroidism (3)-1 (3).pdfPreview the documentAssignment Objectives:Critique study objectives in research reports.Demonstrate knowledge of methods to gather and organize information for a study.Identify research problems generated from the practice setting.Critique research problems and the purpose for a study.Critique literature reviews for relevance, currency, and multidisciplinary sources.
MSN600 Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and ResearchModule 6 AssignmentQuantitative Research CritiqueThis assignment will allow students to review and critique a quantitative research article. The critique is an analysis of the article. Please use the questions on the grading rubric and questions in Box 5.3 in the Polit and Beck text titled “Guide to an Overall Critique of a Quantitative Research Article” to guide your analysis. Generally, 1-3 sentences are sufficient to answer each question depending on the question. Students need to address each component thoroughly from the content of the article, providing rationale for each of the statements. If a research component is not addressed in the article, you must explain whether or not this is justified. As you dwell with your article, be sure to review quantitative article critique in Polit and Beck textbook found in Box 5.3. The paper should include an introduction and a conclusion. The paper should be no more than 7 pages excluding title and reference page.Please choose one of the following three articles on which to write your critique. Choose just one and include the entire citation according APA in your critique.MSN 600 Quant A call for future nurses_ School counselors’ perceptions of the nursing role_ A preliminary study-1.pdfPreview the documentMSN 600 Quant Article Social media use and cybercivility guidelines in U.S. nursing schools_ A review of websites (2)-1.pdfPreview the documentMSN 600 Quant The internalization of professional nursing values in baccalaureate nursing students-1.pdfPreview the documentAssignment Objectives:Critique study objectives, questions, and hypotheses in research reports.Demonstrate knowledge of methods to gather and organize information for a study.Identify research problems generated from the practice setting.Critique research problems and the purpose for a study.Critique literature reviews for relevance, currency, and multidisciplinary sources.