Assignment 1: Discussion—Career Self-Assessment
Self-assessment is the first step in the career planning process. Career assessments are designed to help you determine the most appropriate career choice and to help you plan your future. These assessments can provide insights regarding your personality, values, interests, and skills and the role they play in your career development and management.
The Internet is increasingly used as a source of self-assessment, career development, and career management. Review the online career assessment tools available in the Webliography. Select and complete three of these assessments.
Prepare a discussion posting addressing the following items. Your responses should go beyond mere surface interpretations to provide depth of self-exploration and self-discovery.
- What do the results reveal about your values, interests, skills, goals, interaction style, etc.?
- How will this information be useful for your career development and management?
Write your responses in about 300 words.
LiveCareer – Free Career Test
Assignment 2: Applying the Learned Information from a Career Self-Assessment
Organizations today have adopted innovative measures to retain key talent and reduce turnover. These measures include dual-career paths and alternative or flexible work arrangements. In addition, some organizations also provide their employees with outplacement, recruitment, and coaching services.
Managers should know and understand how to develop an employee in his/her preferred career path. In order for the assessment data to be beneficial to the employee, the manager should understand and know how to interpret the data. For this assignment, you will conduct an interview with someone who is in or has been in a management position and write a 4-5 page paper covering the following items:
- What value does the manager you interviewed place on career self-assessments?
- What role does the interviewee play in helping his or her employee reach their career objectives? Does the manager see any room for improvement in this area? Why or why not?
- Based on your interview, outline proactive approaches employees can employ to gain assistance from his/her manager to advance within the organization and discuss how the information gathered from a career assessment can be used to promote internal career development
- In addition, address the steps the employee can take to ensure assistance is received on a continual basis from the manager to promote workplace self-development.
All sources should be cited in proper APA format.