Reading Response: Poetry and Performance
Listen to We Real Cool and My Papa’s Waltz. These clips demonstrate the importance of performance, rhythm, and musicality in the poetic form.
Describe your listening experience of one or more of the poems. (If you prefer, you may find a recording of another poem from the course readings and describe your listening experience of it instead. If you choose this option, be sure to provide a link to the audio of the chosen poem.) How did hearing the text(s) recited aloud compare to a silent reading of it/them? Did the performance in any ways add to or detract from your experience of the text? Did the performance change your perception of the poem or its content in any ways? Explain how (or how not).
Support your ideas with textual details and analysis. When applicable, address how specific literary techniques and/or devices contributed to your experience?
Initial posts must be 200 to 300 words in length
To successfully complete this week’s assignments, read the following chapters from the text, Journey into Literature:
- Chapter Eight – Readings for Exploration of Short Story Concepts and Forms
- Chapter 8.4 – Stories for Comparison
- Chapter 8.5 – A Common Human Dilemma Story
- Chapter 8.6 – A Coming-of-Age Story
- Chapter Nine – What Is Poetry?
- Chapter Ten – Identify the Poet’s Essential Tools
- Chapter Eleven – Forms of Poetry